Compare Listings

Historic Waverly c.1855

8901 Duvall Road, Upper Marlboro, Maryland, 20772, United States of America
  • Description
  • Address
  • Details
  • Features
  • Floor Plan
  • Virtual Tour
  • Video


Historic Waverly c.1855
Set on 28+ picturesque acres, Waverly Mansion is a historic landmark and a superb equestrian facility MINUTES TO DC & ANNAPOLIS. Built in 1855 by the prosperous tobacco grower, John W. Burroughs, this elegant Italianate Victorian, a rare remaining example of period Big-House two-staircase design, is richly appointed with high ceilings, elaborate moldings and medallions, classic marble mantels, original wood paneling and floors, and more. A grand entry hall with a magnificent 3-storey flying staircase opens to dual formal parlors, a formal dining room, and a gourmet kitchen. The bedrooms are unusually spacious , including a luxurious master-suite with spa-bathroom, a walk-in closet, and utility room. With rolling hills, pastoral vistas, and every amenity for the horse enthusiast, this private horse training facility is first class and Waverly Mansion is a home of rare and beautiful distinction.
The equestrian facility and grounds include 2 barn/stables – (1) with 12 stalls, 2 of which also serve as run-ins, plus a roomy indoor washing area, an owner’s tack room, a boarders tack room, a tenant/barn manager apartment – (2) a renovated historic (1900’s) tobacco barn, with a new roof and a 2-BR, 1.5 bath (stable manager’s apartment) plus 16 stalls and 14 tack rooms – also included are a small animal barn, the original smoke house and summer kitchen mirroring the architecture of the house. The numerous paddocks have board fencing and run-ins, including 2 – 5 acre paddocks that are potentially buildable lots. There are 2 riding arenas, including a dressage arena with professional footing and drainage to USDF specs. On the south side of the property is a 5 acre buildable lot (wooded).
Located in the protected Rural Tier, Waverly stands adjacent to Patuxent River Park, comprising 6,000 wooded acres and miles of glorious horse-riding trails. A spectacular historic home and excellent horse boarding/training facility, in a privileged location for both city life and equestrian pursuits, Waverly cannot easily be matched in the DC area.

Aerial Video of This Private Equestrian Estate


First Floor (13′ ceilings)
Center Hall 39′ x 10′ – Wood floor, crown & ceiling molding, crystal chandelier with ornate plaster medallion.
Front Parlor 19′ x 17′ – Wood floor, fireplace (gas insert) with marble mantel, crown & ceiling molding, pocket doors, crystal chandelier with ornate plaster medallion, 3 window alcove accessed through pocket doors, 2 windows.
Rear Parlor 18′ x 17′ – Wood floor, fireplace (gas insert) with marble mantel, crown & ceiling molding, crystal chandelier with ornate plaster medallion, 3 windows.
Dining Room 20′ x 15′ – Wood floor, crystal chandelier, fireplace with marble mantel, crown molding, closet, 3 windows.
Kitchen 19′ x 16′ – Ceramic tile floor, fireplace (gas insert) with marble mantel,  original crystal chandelier with medallion, granite counters, center island with sink, double sinks, dishwasher, Kitchenaid refrigerator, Thermador professional gas range, painted wood cabinets, 2 windows.
Hallway – Wood floor, back staircase, exterior door.
Powder Room – Ceramic tile floor.
Family Room 23′ x 13′ – Carpet, fireplace with wood stove, wainscot, ceiling fan, 10 windows.

Second Floor (12′ ceilings)
Master Bedroom 20′ x 16′ – Wood floor, chandelier with medallion, fireplace with marble mantel, walk-in closet, glass French doors to balcony, 2 windows.
Master Bathroom 17′ x 16′ – Wood floor, whirlpool tub, double shower, bidet, fireplace with marble mantel, crystal chandelier, closet, 3 windows.
Bedroom 2 20′ x 15′ – Wood floor, crystal chandelier with medallion, fireplace with marble mantel, 2 closets, 3 windows.
Bedroom 3 16′ x 15′ – Wood floor, crystal chandelier with medallion, fireplace with marble mantel, 2 closets, 3 windows.
Bedroom 4 18′ x 15′ – Wood floor, fireplace with marble mantel, closet, 3 windows.
Hall Bathroom – Ceramic tile floor, whirlpool tub, shower, 1 window.

Third Floor
Full walk-up attic suitable for storage or finishing.


Select Floor Plan From Main Menu


Barn/Stable 1 (2 storey) – 12 stalls (10 conventional + 2 double duty as run-ins), tack room, one bedroom tenant apartment, proximity to lower paddocks and full-size dressage arena with professional footing.
Barn/Stable 2 (2 storey) – renovated historic (1900’s) tobacco barn, with a new roof and a 2-BR, 1.5 bath (Stable Manager’s apartment) plus 16 stalls and 14 tack rooms and riding arena.
2 – fenced 5 acre paddocks on the north side are separately deeded and buildable.
1 – 5 acre wooded lot, with a creek & potential pond, on the south side, separately deeded and buildable.
Plat – Owner will consider selling two Parcels with 12+ Acres, that include the historic house, smaller stables, dressage arena, garage, historic smokehouse & historic summer kitchen for $1,500,000.
Plat – Includes all 5 parcels with structures for $2,100,000.

Equipment Shed
Small Animal Barn
Period Summer Kitchen
Period Smoke House
Board Fence Paddocks


Waverly, constructed in 1855, is an excellent example of an Italianate style frame farmhouse in near original condition. It exhibits many fine features of the Italianate style, with its deeply overhanging eaves punctuated by bold jigsawn cornice brackets. The casing of the principal entrance is particularly fine, combining elements of both the Greek Revival and Italianate styles. It is a rare local example in this period of board-and-batten siding. Waverly’s interior is distinguished by its handsome marble mantels, molded plaster cornices and ceiling medallions, and massive three-story staircase. Two contemporary buildings stand immediately behind the house; they reflect the architectural style of the dwelling with their hip roofs, board-and-batten siding, and overhanging eaves with jigsawn cornice brackets. Today, it is the unique surviving example of its genre in Prince George’s County.


Waverly is a two-part Italianate style frame house consisting of a 2 1/2-story hip-roofed main block, to which is attached a two-story hip-roofed kitchen wing. The house, constructed in 1855 is distinguished by board-and-batten siding, bold Italianate cornice brackets, and a principal entrance which reflects elements of the Greek Revival and the Italianate architectural style. The main block of the building, facing east, is five bays wide. The central three bays are covered by a hip-roofed porch on square columns, now screened. The porch has a molded cornice and dentiled frieze, and rests on stone piers. The entrance consists of a double door with Italian detailing, with three tall transom lights and sidelights. The sidelights and two of the transom lights contain frosted floral-motif panes. The transom lights are separated from the sidelights by large deeply carved Eastlake-style brackets. Windows are mostly 6/6 sash with louvered shutters, but the central second-floor bay holds a pair of 4/4 sash windows, each with a single shutter. A shallow cross gable above this bay holds a four-light bullseye window in the tympanum. A pair of interior chimneys pierce both the east and west slopes of the standing-seam metal hip roof.
In plan, the house has a central hall and double parlors. The fireplaces on the inside walls of each room are marble. The staircase has a large, canister-like newel post.
West of the house are two domestic dependencies–both board-and-batten with hipped roofs. One was a wash house and wood house, the other a smokehouse and food store.
The house is a good example of a type of architecture popular in the mid-nineteenth century and advocated by such architectural theorists as Vaux and Downing. Board-and-batten siding was supposed to suggest the vertical form of trees. The large windows and generous porch were for light and ventilation, architectural qualities that promoted a healthy spiritual and emotional life.
The local lore has it that Waverly’s superb structure was built by striking shipbuilders from Baltimore.


Waverly is an excellent example of an Italianate style frame farmhouse and today it is the only surviving building of its type in Prince George’s County.
Waverly stands on rolling farmland between Croom and Mount Calvert. In 1855, John w. Burroughs, son of Richard Burroughs, prosperous tobacco planter of the Nottingham area, purchased 273 acres of Mount Calvert Manor, and built on it this large and handsome dwelling.
After the Civil War, like many other planters of Prince George’s County, John w. Burroughs went into debt, mortgaged his property, and soon defaulted on payments. By 1878, the Court of Equity appointed a trustee to sell his property; it was advertised at that time as “a very handsome, commodious and well appointed frame dwelling containing 10 or 12 rooms and spacious cellars, one double house for servants, meat house, stable, poultry houses, carriage house and granary, all recently built •••• ” The property was purchased by the
Franklin Bank of Baltimore and for the next two decades was the home of tenants and several short term owners.

CHAIN OF TITLE (1855-1971)

  • 1855 – John & Catharine Dufief, Talbert et al to John W. Burroughs, part of Mount Calvert Manor, 273 acres.
  • 1876 – John & Mary Ella Burroughs to three Belts, trading as T. Belt & Sons in Baltimore, all land which Burroughs acquired by CSM#1:45; Burroughs to reside on property until default.
  • 1880 – R.B.B.Chew to Franklin Bank of Baltimore; John Burroughs defaulted on mortgage, Chew appointed agent for mortgagees, did sell property to Bank, all land, part of Mount Calvert Manor on which Burroughs resides, 273 acres.
  • 1884 – Franklin Bank of Baltimore to Minnie Hill, wife of Eugene Hill, Waverly, 273 acres, on which Hills now reside.
  • 1884 – Minnie & Eugene Hill to F. H. Bowie, Waverly, 273 acres, which Hills have just bought from Franklin Bank.
  • 1888 – Snowden Hill to Francis Bowie; F.S.Hill appointed trustee to sell property after M & E Hill defaulted on mortgage to F.M.Bowie.
  • 1888 – Francis M. Bowie to Annie L. Briggs, Waverly, 273 acres.
  • 1899 – Philemon Chew, trustee to Wm. H. Duvall; by Equity #2596, Chew appointed to sell Briggs property, Waverly, 273 acres.
  • 1900 – William H. Duvall to Matilda Duvall, his wife, all of Waverly Farm (273 acres), being part of I·:It. Calvert Manor, same formerly owned by Briggs.
  • 1959 – Testator, Matilda Wood Duvall; her 1/8 interest in Waverly Farm, 266.51 acres, to sisters Fredericka S. Duvall, and Susan Dorinda Duvall, and brother Benjamin Duvall (Mother of above, Matilda Wood Duvall, widow, died 18 Aug 1949 intestate, leaving 271 or 168 acre farm Waverly – her 8 children heirs).
  • 1971 – George Burroughs, personal repr. of estate of Fredericka Skinner Duvall deceased to Wm. H. Duvall, Margaret Baden, Susan Dorinda Duvall, Peter W. Duvall, Thomas Duvall, & Benjamin Duvall; FSD’s 1/8 interest in Waverly Farm, as devised by will of Matilda Wood Duvall.


Waverly – National Register of Historic Places
Waverly – Maryland Historical Trust
Burrough’s Diary Description – Prince Georges County Historical Society
Diary – John W. Burrough’s Diary – Excerpt 1863
Historic Sites – Prince Georges County
Historic Preservation – PG County Historic Preservation Commission
Easement Program – PG County Easement Program
Tax Credits – PG County Tax Credits
Tax Credits – Maryland Tax Credits
Tax Credits – Federal Tax Credits
Waverly – Wikipedia
Plat – Includes all 5 parcels with 28 acres.
Plat – Two Parcels with 12+ Acres

  • Address: 8901 Duvall Road, Upper Marlboro, Maryland, 20772, United States of America
  • City: Upper Marlboro
  • State/county: Maryland
  • Zip/Postal Code: 20772
  • Country: United States


Updated on July 21, 2021 at 4:41 pm

  • Property ID: 10798
  • Price: $2,100,000
  • Property Size: 5460 Sq Ft
  • Land Area: 28 Acres
  • Bedrooms: 4
  • Bathrooms: 2.5
  • Garage: 1
  • Garage Size: 3
  • Year Built: 1855
  • Property Type: Estates, Farms, Homes
  • Property Status: For Sale
  • Historic Designation: Prince Georges County Historic Landmark

Floor plans

All Floors

First Floor

Second Floor


360° Virtual Tour


Contact info

Gary Gestson
Gary Gestson

Enquire about this property


Historic Pecher Farm c.1780


Historic Notley c.1946