Compare Listings

Historic William W. Duley House c.1809

8100 Croom Road, Upper Marlboro, Maryland 20772 United States of America
$624,000
  • Description
  • Address
  • Details
  • Features
  • Virtual Tour
  • Video

Description

Historic William W. Duley House c.1809

Considered one of the most important historic estates in Prince George’s County Maryland, the William W. Duley House (c.1809) has been beautifully restored and renovated. Featuring a private setting with historic outbuildings and barns, fenced pastures and just minutes from
downtown DC, this significant historic 3.4 acre farmette offers a unique buying opportunity for the Washington metro area. A wonderful blend of fine historic detailing and modern amenities, including central air conditioning, a gourmet kitchen with hand selected premium granite counters & back splash, solar panels, original wood floors & moldings and an enormous amount of charm, this gorgeous property is steeped in the rich history of Prince George’s County. Some of the County’s great 18th & 19th century PG County founding families – the Beanes, Claggetts, Sasscers & Scotts–resided in this house and worked the surrounding lands, once part of the 17th century Croome plantation granted by Maryland’s colonial proprietors.

The original 1809 section was built by Judson Scott in a rural Tidewater style. Scott used a 15th century English technique of heavy timber frame construction filled with brick nogging, that can be viewed in the exposed walls of the back staircase. Timber & nogging construction is typical of East Anglia, but rarely found in colonial America. Scott acquired the 259 acre farmstead through marriage to a granddaughter of Thomas Claggett, the first American-born bishop of the Episcopal Church, then owner of the Croome estate. Scott also operated a nearby grist and sawmill, and died in 1822. After several owners during the antebellum years, William W. Duley purchased the farmstead at public auction in 1873 and constructed the large Federal-style addition. Though the acreage is reduced from its 19th century expanse, the William W. Duley House offers a prospective steward the experience of being a part of the continuum of more than two centuries of American history.

The property is located on both the Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Route and the Maryland Lower Patuxent Scenic Byway, and is the beneficiary of a scenic easement in the adjacent woodlands.   Thousands of acres of parkland with riding trails, fishing piers and boat ramps are five minutes away in Jug Bay Park and Rosaryville State Park.  This still-rural location is just is 19 miles by road from Capitol Hill (40 minutes) and 15 miles (20 minutes) from the Chesapeake bay marinas in Deale.

This is an historic property of rare and beautiful distinction, minutes from the excitement of the nation’s capital, yet a world away.

ROOMS

Main Floor
Entry Hall 14′ x 8′ – Wood floor, hanging lamp, wall sconces, closet.
Living Room 
20′ x 16′ – Wood floor, fireplace with wood mantel, hanging lamp with medallion, chair rail, 5 windows.
Dining Room 19′ x 15′ – Wood floor, fireplace (decorative) with wood mantel, hanging lamp, back staircase, door to porch, 5 windows including a bay window.
Kitchen 24′ x 9′ – Wood floor, double sink, rare granite counters, breakfast nook, door to mudroom, 3 windows.
Mudroom 12′ x 7′ – Ceramic tile floor, bead board ceiling, 4 windows.
Laundry 7′ x 6′ – Ceramic tile floor, bead board ceiling, 1 window.
Powder Room 7′ x 4′ – Ceramic tile floor, wainscot.
Family Room 15′ x 15′ – Wood floor, fireplace with elegant granite mantel, hanging lamp with medallion, chair rail, 3 windows.

2nd Floor
Landing 18 x 8′ – Wood floor, 1 window.
Master Bedroom 16′ x 15′ – Wood floor, hanging lamp, antique fireplace (c.1850) set in wood paneling with secret compartment, a “double walk-in closet” with his-n-hers separate doors, 4 windows.
Hall Bathroom 9′ x 8′ – Ceramic tile floor, whirlpool (jacuzzi) bathtub,  granite counter.
Bedroom 2  13′ x 9′ – Wood floor, 2 closets, 3 windows.
*En suite bathroom 9′ x 6′ – Ceramic tile floor, bathtub, 1 window.
Bedroom 3 20′ x 17′ – Wood floor, ceiling fan, walk-in closet, back staircase, 5 windows.

3rd Floor
Bedroom 4 23′ x 12′ – Wood floor, 1 window.
Storeroom 16′ x 12′ – Wood floor, HVAC,  1 window.

Basement
Cellar with utilities.

Select FLOOR PLAN in Main Menu

BRIEF HISTORY

The William W. Duley House consists of two parts: A 26 x 20 foot, 1-1/2 story wing constructed between 1800 and 1822 by Judson Scott, and the 2-story main block which was built by William Duley between 1873 and 1897. Also associated with the site is an early to mid-nineteenth century smokehouse. These structures are significant architecturally because of their association with the prominent Prince George’s County families of Scott and Sasscer. This site is also important for its association with one of the earliest commercial ventures in the County, a grist and sawmill operation on the Charles Branch, initiated in the late eighteenth century by the Beanes, Clagetts and Smiths and continued into the nineteenth century by the Scots and Sasscers. Furthermore, the extension after the Civil War of the Popes Creek Branch of the Baltimore & Potomac Railroad, through the new hamlet of Croom Station can be attributed to the influence and business pursuits of these prominent families.

Judson Scott, for whom the earlier portion of the house was built, married into the Clagett family upon his marriage in 1785 to Eleanor Claggett, granddaughter of the Rev. Thomas John Claggett, the first American-born Bishop of the Anglican (now Episcopal) Church.
In 1800, Scott obtained a 259-1/2 acre portion of “Croome” from Dr. Colmore Beanes, the brother-in-law of Francis Scott Key, for 2,225 pounds. Claggett and Joseph Smith also owned portions of “Croome.” The property included a half interest in a grist mill, located on Charles Branch (with Joseph Smith), and a third interest in a nearby sawmill (with Joseph Smith and Bishop Claggett).

Upon Judson Scott’ death in 1822 a commission was appointed to “adjudge and determine” if his Croom estate could be divided. It is therefore probable that the east wing of the William W. Duley House was the dwelling of Scott and was constructed between 1800 and 1822.

The property was purchased in 1822 by Mackall Skinner Cox as the highest bidder at the public sale of Judson Scott’s estate. In 1828, it was conveyed to Zadock Sasscer, who apparently acquired the title to delay a lawsuit against Cox. Sasscer then petitioned the County Court requesting that the property be conveyed to him. Sasscer received the property as well as the inventory of furnishings, farming implements and several dozen enslaved persons in payment for Cox’ debts.

In 1840 Zadock conveyed the property to Susanna Cox, who in turn conveyed it back to him in 1844. The property passed into Zadock Jr’ s hands upon his father’s death in 1859 and was sold at public sale to Enoch G. Duley and William W. Duley in 1873, after the death of Zadock Jr.
William W. Duley farmed and operated a livery stable serving Croom Station, and became the
hamlet’s first postmaster. The main block of the house appears to have been added during Duley’s ownership. Upon his death in 1897, the property was sold at public sale to Edward H. Garner. The house and outbuildings remained in the Garner family until 1983.
more>>>

ARCHITECTURAL DETAILS

The William W. Duley House is a two part frame dwelling located on a hill at the intersection of Route 382 (Croom Road) and Croom Station Road. The main block, a 2-story 5 bay by 2 bay structure, faces northwest and dates from the Reconstruction era. An earlier (early nineteenth century), 1-1/2 story, 3 bay by 1 bay wing extends from the center of the rear elevation of the main block and is of heavy timber frame construction filled with brick nogging. The wing measures approximately 26 x 20 feet.
Both sections have gable roofs covered with asphalt shingles. The roof line of the main block flairs slightly at the eaves. The wing has two shed porches which extend along both elevations, the rear being enclosed.
Both elevations have dormer windows which pierce the roof at the half-story level . The dormer on the southwest elevation has a segmental arched window and is earlier than the other. A bay window, added later, extends from the southeast gable end of the wing.
The house rests on a tamped footing brick foundation. The wing has a 19 x 14 foot dug basement which is entered from the southeast gable end. In the northeast corner of the basement there is an opening into a rounded brick-lined storage area (which may have been a cistern). There are three brick chimneys, adorned with corbelled caps. Two are interior ones located in the center of the main block; another where the main block meets the wing.
more>>>

   

OUTBUILDINGS

The property also comprises a carriage house, a bank barn and two additional outbuildings, in addition to the smokehouse located south of the house. One outbuilding to the west of the smokehouse was constructed as a milk shed based on an old photograph and survey. The milk shed has a hipped roof of asphalt shingles, German wood siding and a concrete foundation. Steps to the east is a rebuilt pump house, a wood-frame building. The gable roof of the pump house is covered with asphalt shingles and the walls are covered with German wood siding. The two barns on the property are located to the south of the smokehouse, and separated from the shed and outbuilding by a paved parking area. The carriage house has a side-gable roof covered with corrugated metal. The exterior is board-and-batten siding, with a concrete block foundation. The elevation which faces the house has four wagon entryways, enclosed with double hinged doors. The second story has two 9/9 double-hung windows and a hay loft door. To the west of the carriage house is a bank barn with a concrete foundation. The side-gable roof is standing seam metal and the walls are wood board-and-batten. The lower level facing south is configured as a stable with three horse stalls.

IMPROVEMENTS

2002-2011:

  • Renovation of kitchen and hallways (2003)
  • Lower pasture paddock fencing (2006)
  • Invisible pet fence (2009)
  • Rare granite variety installed: Kitchen counters and back splash (2010), and family room fireplace surround (featured on Houzz.com) (2011)
  • Carrier hi-efficiency 3-ton furnace with humidifier, electronic air cleaner, and oil tank (2011)
  • Reliance emergency generator transfer system (2011)
  • Acquired 0.9 acre adjoining pasture (2011)
  • Upper pasture paddock fencing (2011)

2012-2020:

  • Replacement roof on main house and two outbuildings (limited lifetime architectural shingles) and chimney vents (2012)
  • Septic drain field and pipes replaced and perc-ed (2012)
  • Tesla/Solarcity solar panel and inverter system on barn and carriage house—produce a third of annual electricity consumption (2013)
  • Trane heat pump and condenser (dual system for upper storeys) (2014)
  • Renovation of Bedroom 2 (2015)
  • Badger insinkerator (2016)
  • Dishwasher and range (2017)
  • Washing machine (2017)
  • Exterior locks replaced (2017)
  • Water conditioner system (2018)
  • Sump pump (2018)
  • Renovation of laundry room (2019)
  • Top-load freezer (2019)
  • Renovation of Bedroom 4 and third story stairway (2020)

CHAIN OF TITLE

Excerpt…
June 6, 1828
Grantor: Meakall S. Cox
Grantee: Zadock Sasscer
Whereas Cox owes Sasscer $7590.00, Cox conveys property mentioned above, including:
And 12 head of cows, three yoke of oxen, 5 yearlings , 7 calves, one bull , one cart , 2 ox yokes, and one chain, one Iron gray horse – 5 years old, one brown mare – 12 years old , 1 bay horse – 12 years old, one bay mare – 16 years old , one dark brown mare – 9 years old, one black colt – 3 years old , 29 hogs and pigs , all my household and kitchen furniture of every kind and description together with my beds, bedding and furniture , also my corn now in the house and the crop of grain now growing, also one gig .
Complete Chain of Title

LINKS

Maryland Historical Trust – William Duley House PG-82B-7
Historic Sites – Prince Georges County
Historic Preservation – PG County Historic Preservation Commission
Easement Program – PG County Easement Program
Tax Credits – PG County Tax Credits
Tax Credits – Maryland Tax Credits
Tax Credits – Federal Tax Credits

  • Address: 8100 Croom Road
  • City: Upper Marlboro
  • State/county: Maryland
  • Zip/Postal Code: 20772
  • Country: United States

Detail

Updated on May 11, 2020 at 12:51 pm

  • Property ID: 10359
  • Price: $624,000
  • Property Size: 2775 Sq Ft
  • Land Area: 3.44 Acres
  • Bedrooms: 4
  • Bathrooms: 2.5
  • Year Built: 1809
  • Property Type: Estates, Farms, Homes
  • Property Status: For Sale
  • Historic Designation: Prince George's County Historic Site PG:82B-7

360° Virtual Tour

Video

Contact info

Gary Gestson
Gary Gestson
301-646-0046301-646-0046

Enquire about this property

PREVIOUS PROPERTY

Looking to Buy a Historic Home in Camden Maine – 8718

NEXT PROPERTY

Historic Ellicott City House c.1872