Compare Listings

Historic Westwood Manor c.1739

10690 Allens Fresh Road, Charlotte Hall, Maryland 20622 United States of America
  • Description
  • Address
  • Details
  • Virtual Tour
  • Video


Westwood Manor c.1739 rests gently on a private hill top with stunning views of the Wicomico River and surrounded by 30+ acres of lush crop land. Built on an early 1651 Maryland land grant from Lord Baltimore, Westwood Manor is a Charles County historic landmark and one of only two known brick 18th century gambrel roof structures to survive in the county. Craftsmanship and historic detailing abound in this unique home, with original wood floors, chair railing, ornate wood paneled fireplaces, exquisite dentil molding, two staircases, charming sunroom and a primary bedroom suite with private porch. Set far back and out of sight from the road, modern life seems distant from Westwood Manor’s peaceful perch and the ageless fields embrace its inhabitants with the alluring simplicity of a bygone era. This is an estate of rare and beautiful distinction, close to DC & Baltimore, yet a world away.


Side Entry Hall 22’x 10′ Wood floor, chair rail, hanging lamp, staircase, closet, 1 window.
Living Room
22′ x 18′ – Wood floor, fireplace with ornate paneling, chair rail, crown molding, dentil molding, closet, front door, 2 windows.
Dining Room 16′ x 12′ – Wood floor, chair rail, hanging lamp with medallion, 2 windows.
Sunroom 18′ x 9′ –Brick floor, ceiling fan, exposed brick wall, wood siding, wood paneled ceiling, 3 glass French doors.
Kitchen 12′ x 12′ – Vinyl floor, double sink, ceiling fan, electric cooktop, rear staircase, 2 windows.
Powder Room – Wood floor.
Family Room 16′ x 16′ – Wood floor, fireplace with ornate paneling and mantel shelf, chair rail, crown molding,  2 windows.

2nd Floor
Hall 19′ x 9′ Wood floor, 1 window.
Master Bedroom 12′ x 12′  Carpet, fireplace with mantel shelf, ceiling fan, 2 closets, door to porch, 2 windows.
*Master Bathroom
  9′ x 8′ – Ceramic tile floor, tile half wall & shower, 1 window.
Bedroom 2 16′ x 12′ – Wood floor, ceiling fan, closet, 2 windows.
Hall Bathroom  8′ x 7′ – Ceramic tile floor, tile half wall & tub, 1 window.
Sitting Area/ Den 11′ x 7′ Wood floor, built-in bookcases, 1 window.
Hall 7′ x 6′ Wood floor, rear staircase.
Bedroom 3 13′ x 11′ – Wood floor, closet, 1 window.
Bedroom 4 17′ x 13′ – Wood floor, closet, 2 windows.

Improved, with exterior access.

2 Story, oversized detached 2 car garage.


Westwood Manor is a 1-1/2 story Flemish bond brick structure with a gambrel roof situated on 30 acres overlooking Allen’s Fresh at the headwaters of the Wicomico River. The dwelling is believed to have been built for John Winter after 1739 and extensively remodeled in the Greek Revival-style during the mid-19th century. By the mid-20th century, the house was abandoned and in a state of disrepair. In 1963, the site was completely renovated by it’s current owner. At this time, a frame Victorian wing that stood on the east elevation was demolished and Victorian-era exterior trim and interior chimney flue were removed. A 1 -story gambrel roof kitchen was built in place of the former Victorian wing. The dwelling has a cedar shingle roof and a paved water table.
Westwood Manor uniquely represents the changing architectural tastes of Charles Countians during the 18th and 19th centuries. Westwood Manor is one of only two known brick 18th century gambrel roof structures to survive in Charles County. Black Friars (CH-42), located nearby on the opposite side of the Wicomico is a similar brick example believed to date from the mid-18th century. The historic setting, on a high bluff overlooking cultivated fields leading to Allen’s Fresh, adds to the site’s significance.


This manor was granted to Thomas Gerard in 1651. Although records refer to the members of the Gerard family as residing at Westwood Manor, the main section of the present structure is believed to have been built by John Winter, who acquired the property in 1739. It is possible that an earlier structure was incorporated.
The brick main house is of one-story height beneath a broad gambrel roof with dormers. Enclosed within the west gable wall is a single chimney. The existing east exterior chimney is a total reconstruction. The floor plan consists of two front rooms, a rear stair hall, and a room on the back. The interior woodwork on the first floor displays dentil moldings projecting beneath the cornices over the windows and doors. The most distinctive exterior feature is the west end which is stuccoed and possesses a galleried Federal porch of delicate proportions and detail. The north and south brick walls are of Flemish bond pattern with salt glazed headers.
The dwelling faces south and includes a five bay first floor front elevation sheltered by a shed roof porch supported by five solid wood Ionic columns. Four pedimented dormers pierce the roof. The current doorway occupies the second bay. Windows on this as well as the opposite elevation are 6/6 wood sash. The west gable end includes a two-story porch with four staved first and second story Ionic columns. This elevation has a stucco over brick finish. Single offset exterior doors are found on this elevation. The northwest elevation includes three existing first floor bays along with evidence of a previous door and window that were bricked in during the mid-19th century renovation. The interior was completely gutted at the time of the 1963 renovation with the exception of the Greek Revival stair that features a massive turned and reeded newel. A mid-19th century hand-grained wood door also survives and has been preserved and reused in the kitchen addition.
The restoration of the dwelling and the existing conditions at the time were accurately recorded by Louise Boone Turner in her thesis entitled “A Maryland Manor in Transition”. Although many details that might reveal the architectural evolution of the structure are obscured by finished surfaces, Turner recorded many details regarding construction including the presence of a tilted false plate secured with locust pins. (1)

(1) A copy of Turner’s dissertation “A Maryland Manor in Transition” is available at the College of Southern Maryland, Southern
Maryland Studies Center in La Plata.


Westwood Manor, located at the head of the Wicomico River near Allen’s Fresh in Charles County, Maryland, was first patented in 1651 to Dr. Thomas Gerard. The property was described as including 1600 acres, although no original survey survives.
Gerard, who had been born in Lancashire, England in 1608, had immigrated to Maryland in 1638, drawn, one of his early biographers argued, by the prospect of “material betterment.”
Gerard went on to assemble his own landholdings, first in Maryland and then in Virginia. The name, “Westwood” and “Westwood House,” as the property was sometimes called, may have come from the name a distant relative of Gerard’s called his property in England.
Gerard was an ambitious man, to say the least, earning the recognition of Lord Baltimore in 1643 when he was appointed to the Provincial Council, a body advising the governor on matters of political importance in the colony. Gerard remained on the Council until 1660, when he went against Lord Baltimore in a manner the proprietor interpreted as rebellion. Gerard’s disaffection with the proprietary government had been building and, in the late 1650s, Gerard had been accused a number of times for his “seditious and mutinous words” and “false & scandalous speeches & reports.” After Gerard’s participation in the short-lived Fendall’s Rebellion, his political career in Maryland was effectively over. He moved to Westmoreland County, Virginia, where he died in 1673, owning a total of 16,000 acres in both Maryland and Virginia.


Westwood Manor – Maryland Historical Trust
Archaeology – The Westwood Manor Archaeological Collection: Preliminary Interpretations
Proprietary Manors – St. Mary’s County Maryland: Proprietary Manors

  • Address: 10690 Allens Fresh Road
  • City: Charlotte Hall
  • State/county: Maryland
  • Zip/Postal Code: 20622
  • Country: United States


Updated on January 18, 2021 at 10:52 am

  • Property ID: 12974
  • Price: $875,000
  • Property Size: 3047 Sq Ft
  • Land Area: 31 Acres
  • Bedrooms: 4
  • Bathrooms: 2.5
  • Garage: 1
  • Garage Size: 2 story, 2 car
  • Year Built: 1739
  • Property Type: Estates, Farms, Homes
  • Property Status: For Sale

360° Virtual Tour


Contact info

Gary Gestson
Gary Gestson

Enquire about this property


Barnesville Farm c.1850


Historic La Plata Estate C.1923