The Historic Reindollar House is a gorgeous 7,000SF+, 7 bedroom Victorian home with high ceilings & beautiful hand-crafted woodwork in the Taneytown Historic District of Maryland. In addition to this extraordinary home, this property features a 2,000SF+ carriage house with 2 large parking lots, that has been used as a retail shop.
This home offers incredible features and opportunities. The architecture is superb, with beautiful brickwork and a terra cotta plaque embedded in the brick between Palladian windows, a vestibule with etched glass doors & transoms, elegant bay windows with sculpted exteriors and curved glass, custom milled moldings and trim, an ornate newel post that anchors the impressive staircase and is illuminated by a large stain glass window that begs a pause on the landing for one to review its inspired detail. Three stories of spacious living, includes an expansive kitchen with stainless steel appliances, a master suite on the second floor and a large in-law suite on the third floor, 7+ bedrooms & 4 bathrooms. An over-sized lot that backs to the neighboring street, features a landscaped yard, 2 large parking lots and a 2 story carriage house with its own address, street access and suitable for a retail shop, work shop, studio…bring your dreams to the Edward Reindollar House, perhaps there is a beautiful inn or B&B in your future.
“Mr. Edward Reindollar (1853-1921), owner of the Reindollar Co. had this residence built by Daniel Fair, a local builder in 1896. It is of Ornate Classical Revival style with unusual features, namely, the terra cotta plaque in the central bay of the 2nd story, flanked by curved windows on each side of the Palladian windows set in the cross gables on the 3rd floor. The house and the carriage house at the rear (flower/gift shop) have recently been restored… ” — Taneytown Walking Tour Pamphlet.
Grand spaces, fine detailing, excellent location – a wonderful residential/commercial opportunity close to Gettysburg, Baltimore & DC, yet a world away.
Main Floor (10′+ ceiling)
Vestibule 8′ x 4′ – Flagstone floor, ornate French doors, etched transom.
Entry Hall 17′ x 8′ – Wood floor, hanging lamp, French doors to Living Room & Family Room.
Side Hall 27′ x 8′ – Wood floor, ornate staircase, custom woodwork, chair rail, stain glass window, closet.
Living Room 18′ x 14′ – Wood floor, fireplace with ornate wood mantel, hanging lamp, interior wood shutters, 3 large windows.
Family Room 23′ x 14′ – Wood floor, fireplace with ornate painted wood mantel, hanging lamp, built-in 11′ bar & shelving, interior wood shutters, 3 large windows.
Dining Room 14′ x 14′ – Wood floor, fireplace (decorative) with ornate wood mantel, chandelier, interior wood shutters, door with decorative transom to side porch, 3 large windows.
Bathroom/Laundry 10′ x 6′ – Ceramic tile floor, shower, built-in shelving, laundry, 1 window.
Kitchen 21′ x 14′ – Wood floor, island with electric range, stainless steel appliances, double sink, recessed lighting, custom wood cabinets with Victorian latches, wainscot, fireplace (decorative) with wood mantel, back staircase to 2nd & 3rd floors, 4 windows.
Foyer 14′ x 12′ – Wood floor, stain glass window in staircase, floor, claw foot bathtub, door to side porch.
Master Bedroom Suite 21′ x 14′ – Wood floor, fireplace (decorative) with ornate painted wood mantel, ceiling fan, 3 windows.
*Master Bathroom 11′ x 10′ – Wood floor, sink with cabinets, commode room, no bathtub/shower, 1 window.
Bedroom 2 18′ x 14′ – Wood floor, ceiling fan, bay window with window seat, interior wood shutters, fireplace (decorative) with ornate painted wood mantel, walk-in closet, 2 windows.
Bedroom 3 21′ x 18′ – Wood floor, ceiling fan, bay window with window seat, interior wood shutters, fireplace (decorative) with ornate painted wood mantel, 2 closets, 2 windows.
Bedroom 4 14′ x 11′ – Wood floor, closet, pass door to Bedroom 3, 1 window.
Bedroom 5 19′ x 14′ – Wood floor, ceiling fan, closet, 4 windows.
Hall Bathroom 8′ x 6′ – Ceramic tile floor, bathtub.
Living Room 14′ x 9′ – Wood floor, sink & counter, recessed lighting, door to deck, 1 window.
Bedroom 6 17′ x 15′ – Wood floor, ceiling fan, walk-in closet, 5 windows.
Family Room/Bedroom 21′ x 14′ – Wood floor, ceiling fan, walk-in closet, 4 windows.
Bedroom 7 19′ x 12′ – Wood floor, door to unfinished attic, 2 windows.
Bathroom 9′ x 9′ – Ceramic tile floor, bathtub, 1 window.
CARRIAGE HOUSE (Previously used as a Boutique/Shop)
Main Floor 31′ x 25′ – Concrete floor, built-in counters, powder room, storage closet.
Second Floor 31′ x 25′ – Wood floor, walk-up staircase.
2 LARGE PARKING LOTS
The Taneytown Historic District is significant as a representative example of a major commercial center in Piedmont Maryland from the late 18th century settlement period through the early 20th century. The district embodies the distinctive characteristics of town planning in the Pennsylvania – cultural reg.ion. Its founding in 1 762 occurred as a result of its commercially advantageous location along two early transportation routes, one of which was the Monocacy Road, a major migration route for the Pennsylvania Germans. Its town plan, architecture, and history of the late 18th and early 19th centuries are strongly influenced by the Pennsylvania German culture. The arrival of the railroad in 1872 opened a second era in the history of the community also linked to its role as a commercial and transportation center in Piedmont Maryland. Many of the commercial buildings in the community date from the late 19th and early 20th centuries and reflect the rural Victorian prosperity of the railroad era in Taneytown. National influences on Taneytown’s architecture continued through 1936 with the construction of utilitarian commercial and industrial buildings.
Taneytown was founded by Edward Diggs and Raphael Taney in 1762. The site for the town was established at the intersection of two important transportation routes. The north-south route was the Monocacy Road which began as an Indian Trail, the Conestoga Path. During the 1730’s and 1740’s, this road figured prominently in the migration of Pennsylvania Germans from central Pennsylvania to the south where new land was available for settlement. The trail was improved to a wagon road that led from the mouth of the Monocacy River to the Susquehanna River. After the French and Indian War, this road was heavily traveled and a number of towns were founded along its route in the 1760’s.
The east-west route which ran from Baltimore to Westminster to Uniontown to Taneytown and then west to Emmitsburg, was not as important as the Monocacy Road in the early years of settlement. This route, however, gained in importance in the early nineteenth century when it was improved and it became significant for westward expansion. In 1817, the Westminster, Taneytown and Emmitsburg. Turnpike Company was formed to finance improvements to this road. In 1852, the Westminster and Taneytown Turnpike Company began construction of a plank road along this route. By the mid-19th century, this road had become more significant than the Monocacy Road as a transportation route through Taneytown – a status that it retains today.
Select Recent Improvements
Taneytown Historic District – Maryland Historical Trust
Baltimore Sun – Woman Reclaims Home 2001…about Reindollar House
Taneytown – By Tyler J. Boone (mention & house photo from 1921)
Historical Marker Database – Painting the Town Red (Taneytown – mention & images of Reindollar House)
Frederick News Post – Feature on Taneytown (includes image of Reindollar House)
Carroll County Visitor’s Guide – All Things Carroll County
Gettysburg – National Park Service
Civil War Trust – Battle of Gettysburg
Gettysburg Foundation – Visit Gettysburg
Updated on September 7, 2019 at 10:01 am
Historic Edward Reindollar House c.1896 - 9 York St, Taneytown, MD, USA
Historic Edward Reindollar House c.1896 - 9 York St, Taneytown, MD, USA