The Granite Public School House c.1879
This gorgeous home near Baltimore & Washington, DC is a truly unique historic property and an extraordinary residential conversion. With high ceilings, spacious rooms and historic detailing this rare stone school house has been beautifully restored and updated to include a gourmet kitchen, 4 1/2 luxurious bathrooms, and central heat and air conditioning. The lot is professionally landscaped and maintained with a large yard, mature trees and an expansive flagstone patio, perfect for entertaining. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to acquire a distinctive 19th century historic home that has never before been on the market for sale.
First time offered for sale in 135+ years
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Located within the Granite Historic District
Kitchen remodeled, 2005
New Boiler 2008
New 100 year slate roof 2010
Upstairs completed remodeled including 3 full bathrooms 2012/2013
New 4 zone, 4 unit central AC added 2012/2013
New water treatment system 2012
New water heaters 2012/2013
Main floor half bath remodeled 2008
Basement bathroom remodeled 2009
2 sets of washers/dryers, one on bedroom level one in basement
High ceilings in basement
Walk out basement
3 working wood burning fireplaces w steel fireboxes
Hot water convector heat, 4 zone like AC
Original coal shed on property
Close to Baltimore, Owings Mills, Columbia, T. Rowe Price campus, McDonough School
Adjacent to Patapsco Valley State Park
Brief History of the Granite School House
GRANITE PUBLIC SCHOOL – 1879 – 10612 Old Court Road, opposite Bunker Hill Road, Granite. School of local stone on an acre donated by John T. Isaac; three rooms, high ceilings, slate roof; thick walls designed by Thomas C. Kennedy. Purchased in 1945 by Mr. and Mrs. Eugene W. Torrey and converted into a dwelling; second-story dormers added; other interior changes.
more from NRHP
History of Granite Historic District
The Granite Historic District is significant for its association with the granite quarrying industry in western Baltimore County in the nineteenth and early twentieth century. Originally known as Waltersville and renamed Granite in recognition of its principal product, the village was the center of this industry, which during its peak in the late 19th century provided building materials for major projects throughout the eastern seaboard. Granite from the Waltersville and Fox Rock quarries was utilized in construction of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad in the 1830s, and later in such projects as the Library of Congress, old Treasury Building, and parts of the inner walls of the Washington Monument in Washington, DC; the old Post Office, Courthouse, Custom House, Polytechnical Institute, and monument to the Sons and Daughters of the American evolution in Baltimore; numerous other projects in Baltimore city and county; and local buildings including the Odd Fellows Hall, two churches, and the public school building which still stand within the district.
The district comprises a cohesive collection of resources representing the development of the rural quarrying community from the mid-18th century through the late 1930s. Most of the resources are residential in character and date primarily from the peak of the quarry industry in the last quarter of the nineteenth through the early twentieth century; these houses typically conform to the two story cross-gabled type which characterized rural communities throughout the region during the period.
more from NRHP